LEGAL ASSISTANT – LITIGATION (PART-TIME)
BACKGROUND: Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (Legal Aid) provides a full range of free civil legal services to low-income persons, elderly persons, and persons with disabilities. Legal Aid is supported by funding from the State of Minnesota, the federal government, local governments, the United Way, foundations, local law firms and corporations, etc. Legal Aid enjoys a good rapport with, and strong support from, the organized bar. Legal Aid does not receive funds from the Legal Services Corporation.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Legal Assistant position is part-time and will provide administrative and litigation management support for attorneys handling litigation. In particular, this person will work with attorneys in the Minnesota Disability Law Center who handle disability discrimination cases.
DUTIES AND TASKS: The Legal Assistant’s work will include the following:
· Document management, including numbering and indexing case related documents and materials; scanning and loading documents into litigation management software
· Case intake and initial preparation, including preparing initial packets (releases and retainer agreements); requesting and obtaining case documents (such as medical records, jail records, and police records) from clients and third parties
· Assisting with discovery, including preparing documents for responses to discovery requests
· Assisting with trial preparation, including preparing exhibit binders; exhibit lists and witness lists
· Settlement agreement compliance monitoring
· Preparing and updating case expense summaries
· Maintaining pleadings and document form files
· Assisting with e-filing documents with federal and state courts
· The ability and desire to relate to Legal Aid’s client community
· Knowledge of litigation process, including document production and other discovery projects, document management, coding and scanning procedures, and trial procedures required
· Self-motivated and a team player
· Able to multi-task and prioritize projects and work under strict deadlines
· Strong attention to detail
· Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
· Advanced knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat; electronic discovery processing, document imaging applications, and litigation support applications such as Case Notebook
· Able to learn new technologies, software systems, and processes as they are deployed
· Advanced proofreading, formatting, and editing skills. Ability to organize and maintain large volumes of electronic and paper files
· Paralegal certificate or comparable experience preferred
SALARY: Part-time Position: 10-15 hours/week. Flexible schedule. Pay up to $19.37/hour, depending on experience.
APPLICATIONS: Resume, salary expectations, and a letter explaining interest in the position should be submitted online at www.mylegalaid.org/jobs by September 6, 2018.
Late applications will be considered until the position is filled. No calls please.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.