Rotary Club of North Minneapolis
Peace Essay Contest
“Building Peace in our Community”
Due on January 25, 2019
The Rotary Club of North Minneapolis is sponsoring its annual Peace Essay Contest to encourage young people In North Minneapolis to think about how they contribute to peace in their community. The contest is open to any elementary, middle or high school student in North Minneapolis.
The following outlines the theme which need to be described in the essay:
North Minneapolis can be a thriving and beautiful community. Please write about how you plan to Build Peace in your neighborhood, school or community. How do you envision creating a peaceful community for yourself and those around you?
Prizes will be awarded in each of the grade level divisions: K-5, 6-8, 9-12.
· Open to any elementary, middle or high school student in North Minneapolis, or a student from another area who is attending a North Minneapolis school.
· First Prize at each level is $100, Second Prize is $50, Third Prize is $25
· Entries judged on content, composition and grammar with an emphasis on the content.
§ All entries are due on January 25, 2019
§ Winners will be notified by February 15, 2019
§ Winner may be asked to attend a Rotary Club meeting to accept the Award.
Send 2 copies of your essay and all the personal information firstname.lastname@example.org
or mail to:
Rotary Club of North Minneapolis, P.O. Box 11145
Minneapolis, MN 55411
2018-19 Peace Essay Contest Entry Form
Please attach essay to this form!
Student Name ____________________________________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian’s Name _______________________________________________________________
City, State and Zip code___________________________________________________________________
Telephone______________________________ Email ____________________________________________
We hereby certify that this entry is the original work of the student:
Student signature ____________________________________________________________________
Signature of sponsor:
teacher, parent or guardian ________________________________________________________
Teachers email address: (For notification purposes) ______________________________________________
1. The contest is open to all elementary, middle and high school students in North Minneapolis
2. Entries must be limited to 1000 words or less.
3. Essays will be judged and prizes awarded separately at each school level—primary/elementary (gr. K-5), middle (gr. 6-8), and high school (gr. 9-12).
4. Submit two copies of each entry. Keep a copy for your records. Each entry must also include a completed entry form (above). No entries will be returned.
5. The final essay must be the original work of the student author.
6. Entries may include an original drawing.
8. Submission of an entry grants permission for the Rotary Club of North Minneapolis to publish the essay or excerpts from it in its newsletter, website or other publications.
9. Essays will be judged on the basis of content, style, composition, mechanics and usage, with an emphasis on content. The decisions of the judges are final.
10. Winners may be asked to attend a Award Ceremony at a Rotary Club meeting.
10. Deadline for submissions: January 25, 2019. Winning entrants will be notified on or before February 15. 2019
Deliver or return this entry form by U.S. mail or email, along with two copies of your essay.